Welcome to our website !

Rye Bread Guillotine

By 11.17 , , , , , ,


Rye bread slicer
One thing about Danish Rye bread that used to drive me crazy...it can be a pain to slice, especially if you eat it all the time like I do! The dense, thick loaf practically requires a saw and a burly lumberjack just to hack it into rough-hewn pieces. And yet, the Danes use this bread sliced thinly, with near surgical precision, as the base upon which they build their delicious smørrebrød sandwiches. I used to wonder how they did it!

I should have known that the Danes had solved this little problem with an ingeniously medieval-looking device called a rugbrødsmaskine. This device, which could serve many a nefarious purpose from the looks of it - is used in Denmark for quickly and easily slicing Danish rye bread. And what a joy it is!

Check out this video of my rye bread "guillotine" in action!


I imagine you can still find these cool kitchen devices today in better Danish kitchenware shops, but I found mine at a Danish flea market. It cost me about 100 kroner (about 20 bucks) and has been worth every penny!

A company called Raadvad, which today is known primarily for its knives, has been making this device since the late 1800's. Check out their web page for an amazing picture of one of the originals - it's hardly changed in over a hundred years!!! 

You Might Also Like

0 komentar