Welcome to our website !

Danish Sandwiches in NYC

By 18.09 , , , , , , , , ,

I don't normally do restaurant reviews, but I have to tell you about my recent visit to Aamanns Copenhagen - a wonderfully authentic Danish Smørrebrød restaurant in New York City. Located in Tribeca, this is THE place to go if you want to experience Danish sandwiches that will rival the taste and quality of those found anywhere in Denmark. I'll get to what I ate in a minute, but it looked like this - very lækker!  (Yummy in Danish)


Fried fish, beef tartare and pickled herring with
fantastic Dansk rugbrød
 
For me, it was a truly wonderful experience because a) the smørrebrød was delicious and I love smørrebrød, and b) I didn't have to cook it myself for a change. What a treat!!! The restaurant itself is on Laight street (number 13) in Tribeca, just next to the intersection of Canal Street and 6th Avenue. If you want directions to the restaurant, click here.  

Image from Google Maps
I was deliberately seeking out Aamanns Copenhagen, and had a good idea what to expect from the images that I'd seen on their Facebook page, but even then, I still got a real kick out of the design of the restaurant facade when I finally saw it in person - the stark contrast of the black fonts on white background spelling our mysterious Danish words - the red and white Dannebrog flag waving languidly in the thick humid New York air - it all had a wonderfully familiar appeal - for me, I felt like I was walking into a nice restaurant somewhere in Christanhavn.  


It was a hot and humid day, and as you can see below, I scarfed down my beer so quickly, I didn't even have time to get a properly staged photo. Anyway, they boast an interesting selection of locally brewed beers - the perfect complement to a smørrebrød meal. Mine was pilsner from Brooklyn I think. I drank it too quickly to remember.

Cool Danish-looking menu
The menu offered a very nice variety of smørrebrød - something for everybody - from the most hardcore cod roe eating Dane, to the pickiest finicky lightweight girlyman eater. I have to admit, I had a hard time selecting what to eat, as I wanted to gorge myself on absolutely everything, but after a lengthy consultation with GM Morten, I decided on their fantastic fish filet, luscious beef tartare, and a selection of exquisite pickled herrings (I now dream of this pickled herring at night). I was in heaven with each and every bite. 

Aamanns Copenhagen menu
Like I said, I don't do restaurant reviews, so I am not going to dissect my eating experience. Frankly, I couldn't be objective here if I wanted to, because for me, going to Aamanns Copenhagen is akin to going to ComiCon for a 15-year old Green Arrow fan (I should have dressed up like Søren Kierkegaard), but nevertheless, in my humble opinion, the smørrebrød was absolutely delicious. 

Aerial view of beef tartare smørrebrød

Although, I was impressed by so many things about Aamanns Copenhagen, one thing that really stood out for me was the selection of house-infused Akvavits with inspired flavours I have never come across in my preferred hard booze of choice: from traditional dill to dark purple beet to toasty rye bread! They were all so good, and they paired nicely with the different smørrebrød. Plus, after 3 shots, I was feelin' fine! 

At some point, I plan on experimenting with these akvavits at home. If I have any success, I'll write it up on the blog. 

Selection of house akvavit

Another thing that really stood out for me was the fact that they are making virtually everything from scratch on site at the restaurant - this is how they ensure the quality and authenticity of the smørrebrød - and they do it all from locally sourced ingredients - exactly in the spirit of New Nordic cuisine.

If you live in, or are going to New York (lucky you!), and you want to experience smørrebrød like you find it in Denmark, you have got to go to Aamanns Copenhagen. And if you do, please send regards from DanishSandwich! 


Very hyggelig
And another thing...don't forget to enjoy your smørrebrød with knife and fork. SkÃ¥l!

You Might Also Like

0 komentar